WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
This challenging and rewarding course is for individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wine and offers a detailed understanding of grape growing and winemaking. Throughout the course you will taste over 70 different wines. On successful completion, you will be able to assess wines accurately, and use your understanding to confidently explain wine style and quality. You will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo and call yourself a wine expert. Some study before the exam and revision throughout will be required, and you must have passed the WSET Level 2 Wine Course or be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge to begin this wine course.
Please see below for dates, venues and more details of the Wine Courses in Cambridge that are coming up. If you cannot find a date below to suit you, please call Steve to discuss other dates or venues.
Unit 1 – Wines of the World
- Production of Wine (location, viticulture, vinification, maturation and bottling, labelling regulations)
- France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Central and South Eastern Europe, South Africa,
- Australia and New Zealand, North America, South and Central America
- Sparkling Wines
- Fortified (Liqueur) Wines
- Information and Advice for Customers and Staff
- This unit is evaluated by a multiple choice paper of 50 questions and a question paper requiring short written answers
Unit 2 – Tasting and Evaluating Wines of the World
- WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting – how to taste wines and evaluate the quality, style and price
- This unit is assessed by a blind tasting paper of two wines
Course venue: Darwin College, Silver Street, Cambridge, CB3 9EU
Time: 10am – 5pm
Course fee: £685 (includes wine samples, study pack, tuition and examination)
Building on the knowledge gained through the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines, the Level 3 Award in Wines goes both broader and deeper. It is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the factors that account for the style, quality and price of the principal still, sparkling and fortified wines of the world.
WSET specialist educators will guide you in developing your tasting skills through a carefully selected range of wines ranging from household brands to outstanding bottles from iconic producers. You’ll learn how to use your tasting notes to make objective conclusions on a wine’s style, quality and readiness for drinking.
Course fee: £550
Course dates: 14/09/20 – 15/11/20
Deadline for enrolments: Friday 28 August
– A nine-week online study programme that works around your existing commitments.
– You’ll learn through WSET’s Online Classroom, which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
– As part of your fee, you will be invited to attend an online tasting tutorial to help you prepare for the tasting examination. The wines required for the tasting tutorial will be sent to your home address. Other than this tutorial, you will need to source a minimum of 12 wine samples (not provided as part of the fee, but you will be given guidance on the styles you need to source).
– A minimum of 10 hours of study per week is recommended to successfully complete the online course and regular participation is essential to your success. As you work through the course you will be asked to share your learning experience with the rest of the course group, looking in detail at the influences that affect each wine style and sharing tasting notes.
– The course fee includes your study pack, a year of access to WSET’s Online Classroom, an online tasting tutorial (wines included), a dedicated online tutor and your examination. Other wine samples and tasting glasses are not included. Delivery charges may apply.
Please note that the exam must be completed in person in Cambridge on a set date.
Saturdays, October 24, 31, November 7, 14, 21, 28, December 5, 12 (exam)
10.00am – 2.30pm
All study materials and wine samples will be delivered to your door.
Exam to be sat in Cambridge
Tuesdays, October 27, November 3, 10, 17, 24, December 1 (exam)